This delicious vegetable gravy is served with ghee rice, jeera rice. It also tastes good with Indian flat bread (Chapati, roti, kulcha, Naan). It’s simple and easy to prepare. Added coconut and cashews keep it mild in spite of use of spices. This dish occupies top position in menu list of occasions in south India. I would say its people favorite out here.
- 1 cup chopped vegetables (carrot, beans, potato)
- ½ cup fresh green peas
- ¼ cup Cauliflower florets (optional)
- 1 medium size onion, divided
- 3 tbsp Oil/ghee
- Salt to taste
For making paste
- 4-5 green chilies
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 1 inch Ginger
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3 cashews
- 4 tbsp grated coconut
Step 1: Take all ingredients required to make paste in a blender. Add half onion and grind to make fine paste.
Step 2: Heat oil, add onions, chopped vegetables, green peas and sauté for 2 minutes.
Step 3: Add ground masala and sauté till oil separates. Add salt, 2 cups of water and pressure cook for one whistle or turn off when it’s about to whistle.
Step 4: Open lid when pressure is released and cook to get thick gravy..
- If vegetables are to be even tenderer, half cook them separately and then add to masala. Avoid pressure cook.
- I do not cook them separately and it was not mashed anyway.