Ghee rice is South Indian’s love and an irresistible food for us because of fresh aroma of fried spices and cashews. Clarified butter gives immense flavor to rice. It is very mild as spices are not powdered. Though it’s a good plain food, we always have vegetable korma along with that makes a perfect match for rice. Use of onion is optional. For recipe of vegetable korma please click on the link http://gofoodieworld.blogspot.com/2014/10/this-delicious-vegetable-gravy-is.html
- 1 cup of rice (200 gm)
- 2 tbsp ghee (Clarified butter)
- Cashew nuts (6-8)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 Cloves
- 2 star anise
- 2 inch Cinnamon (broken into pieces of 2 or 3)
- 2 Bay leaves
- Salt to taste
Step 1: Soak rice in water for 15 minutes and drain and keep aside.
Step 2: Heat ghee in a pressure cooker, Add whole spices, cashews and fry for a minute just to get the aroma of spices don’t wait till cashew turns brown. Add onion and saute and add salt.
Step 3: Add rice and saute for 2 to 3 minutes in medium heat.
Step 4: Add little less than 2 cups water or as per your rice cooking instruction. Pressure cook for two whistles.
- Raisins may also be used. I usually don’t like it with rice and adds a bit sweet taste.
- Spice up by adding whole green chilies that can be separated after it’s cooked (Optional)