The yummy dish is the rice with cauliflower. There are variety of dishes we prepare out of cauliflower. One such is Gobi Manchurian (cauliflower fries with sauce) which is popular dish in Asian countries, more in India and China. This recipe has cauliflower with mild spices and rice that would make a perfect breakfast which is healthy and tasty. Crunchiness of fried cauliflower that gives a perfect blend for rice and you enjoy your every bit of it. Quick to prepare and am sure you would feel worth your efforts.
- ½ Cauliflower broken into small size florets (1/2 kg)
- 1 small carrot chopped lengthwise (thin slices)
- 1 medium size finely chopped onion (lengthwise)
- 1 medium size tomato (finely chopped)
- 1 ½ cups rice (250-300 gm.)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala, divided
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 4 tbsp milk.
- 5 tbsp oil, divided
- Salt to taste
Step 1: Soak rice for ten minutes and drain out the excess water.
Step 2: Half boil florets with pinch of turmeric and salt in a sauce pan and allow it to cool. (Don’t cook fully, bring it to boil and turn off the stove). Drain out the excess water.
Step 3: Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add onions and fry till translucent. Add chopped tomatoes and sauté for 1 minute or until its soft. Add soaked rice, chili powder and sauté for 2-3 minutes in a medium flame.
Step 4: Add 2 ½ cups water, salt and bring to boil. Add coconut milk and ½ tsp garam masala give a quick stir and pressure cook for two whistles in medium high heat.
Step 5: Heat 1tbsp oil a non-stick frying pan. Add half boiled cauliflower, carrots and fry until light brown. Sprinkle garam masala and turn off.
Step 6: Mix the fried vegetables with cooked rice.
- Serve warm
- Thinly sliced capsicum can also be used or substitute carrot with capsicum.
- Don’t cook cauliflower fully. Let it be crunchy as it has to be fried later.
- As I always say spices can be adjusted based on your spice level.