It’s is Carrots based Indian dessert. Carrots fried in ghee, added sugar and texture is a treat for senses. This was mainly associated with Punjab but now it’s enjoyed everywhere. In my home it is everyone’s favorite. Carrots are rich in Vitamin A which is key for good vision. We use carrots and cucumber in our daily salads out of these carrots this wonderful dessert can also be made. It is a healthy food if you watch your sugar consumption in it.
- 1 cup grated carrot (200gm)
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 ½ tbsp ghee (Clarified butter)
- Cashew nuts and raisins for seasoning
Step 1: Heat ghee in a thick bottom pan. Add grated carrot and sauté till raw aromas vanish. This takes 4-5minutes in medium heat.
Step 2: Add ½ cup water bring it to boil. Add sugar and give a quick stir. Add milk and cook till ghee separates from carrot. Stir frequently to make sure it doesn’t get burnt.
Step 3: Heat ½ tbsp ghee and fry cashews, raisins for a while and add to the prepared halwa and mix well.
- Fry cashews and raisins carefully it shouldn’t get burnt. As soon as cashew start to turn brown switch off stove.
- Sugar can be adjusted based on your taste
- Almonds or other nuts of your choice can be used
- Milk powder/almond milk is also used
- Ghee can be substituted with oil