This is very simple dessert. Damn easy to prepare. Fried cashews ghee and milk add flavors to kheer. When you have surprise guests at home and wonder for some quick recipes here is the one which is sweet and yummy. This is prepared in almost all occasions at my home. Beginners may also try this as it doesn’t need more efforts. Vermicelli is the main ingredient for making this wonderful dish. Vermicelli is traditional type of pasta round in section similar to spaghetti available in almost all grocery stores. The one made from wheat is preferred. Any occasion won’t be complete without this dessert at my home. Take a quick look at the recipe.
3/4 cup Vermicelli/Shavige about 50 gm
2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter), divided
4 tbsp sugar
1 cup milk
Pinch of cardamom powder
Cashews and raisins for garnishing
Step 1: Heat 1/2tbsp ghee in a sauce pan and fry cashews till it start to turn light brown and turn off and add raisins. Transfer them to bowl and keep aside.
Step 2: Heat remaining ghee in the same pan, saute vermicelli for a minute in medium heat till it’s is light golden care to be taken not to burn. Fry until they start to change color. Add ½ cup water and bring it boil.
Step 3: Add sugar, cardamom powder, milk and boil for 2 minutes. Add fried nuts and raisins and cover the lid and simmer for 2 minutes or until done.
- Serve warm or chilled based tastes yum either way
- Use water if you are using full fat milk. If you are using low fat or fat free milk substitute water with milk
- Keep it runny as it thickens after cooling. If it’s very thick milk can be added to get desired consistency.
- Frying of vermicelli has to be taken care of not to burn
- Sugar can be added those who want it sweeter