Aloo (Potato) Pulao has no onion, no ginger garlic, no tomatoes it’s that simple but yet so delicious. Rice is a staple food for many of us, here is yet another quick recipe of rice with mild spices and we call it Pulao (Rice with spices). Everyday cooking with rice calls for little creativity as we get bored eating same recipe. Got this idea while watching cookery show I thank the amazing lady who inspired me and long live cookery shows. The recipe doesn’t need any grinding it’s just rice with chili powder and largely cut potatoes. It’s very mild and no flavors overload. So what are we waiting for. Let’s get cooking.
- 4 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 cups rice (200 gram)
- 50 gram fresh/frozen green peas
- 2 medium size potatoes, diced into cubes
- ¼ cup shredded dry coconut (about 50 gram)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- Spice mix (2 red chilis, 1tsp cumin seeds, 2 cloves, 3 cardamoms, 3 pieces cinnamon)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
Step 1: Was rice and keep aside. Break red chillies into halves.
Step 2: Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add spice mix and sauté for a minute. Add rice and give a quick stir. In medium heat add chili powder, green peas and Add 4 cups water (Rice to water 1:2).
Step 3: Add potatoes, dry coconut and stir. Add salt and lemon juice. Pressure cook for 2 whistles in medium heat and turn off. After the pressure is released give a stir to combine evenly.
- Serve hot with raita/sauce/salad
- It is suggested not to peel the potato skin, you may do so while eating.
- Kashmiri red chili powder gives better color to the dish.
- You may substitute or add yogurt with lemon.
- As I always say spices can be adjusted based on your spice level.