Egg Chilli, can there be a better starter for Thanks Giving? Eggs are all time favorite loved by all age groups. My vegetarian friends, so called ‘vegetarian’ friends who never consume meat loved this egg chilli and they always had egg in their meals. This is a quick and easy recipe. Hard boiled eggs are coated with chickpea flour and shallow fried then tossed in soya sauce, onion, bell pepper. And your yummy starter is ready to relish. The batter i have used is minimum just to coat to retain dominant egg flavor. It is soft, mild, and very comforting. Hot fry with spring onions adds more flavor to this.
- 4 hardboiled eggs
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp Corn flour
- 3 tbsp Chickpea flour
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp banana sauce
- ½ green pepper, Chopped lengthwise
- 1 medium size onion, Chopped lengthwise
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 2 pinch garam masala
- Spring onion greens to garnish
- Salt to taste
Step 1: Take ¼ cup water, add 1tbsp corn flour stir well and keep aside.
Step 2: Take a bowl, add chickpea flour, 2 tbsp corn flour, salt, and chilli powder and using water prepare batter not too runny but dripping.
Step 3: Shell out the eggs, cut each one vertically into four pieces. Coat them well in batter. Heat 3tbsp oil in a frying pan, drop the coated eggs one by one carefully and sauté for 3-4 minutes in medium heat and 1 minute in high heat and turn off. (Don’t stir them flip over after every minute or twice in a minute’s time.)
Step 4: Transfer them to paper towel, Heat the same pan, add 1tbsp oil, add chopped onions, bell peppers, salt and sauté them for 2-3 minutes. Add eggs, sauce and give a stir, sprinkle pepper powder, garam masala and pour corn flour mix. Toss eggs until they are well coated, when it is about to dry turn off. Garnish with onion greens and serve hot.
- Banana sauce suits this very much and an extra flavor, you shall replace it with tomato sauce.
- The authentic recipe use all-purpose flour and deep frying is followed. Egg usually splutters while deep frying and also oil won’t be as clear as before.
- As I always say spices can be adjusted based on your spice level.