Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Raw jack fruit curry

 Halasinakayi(Raw Jack fruit) Palya(Curry)
Jack fruit is a beautiful fruit. It is soft inside, sweet and fleshy with yellowish color which has seed in it. The raw ones used in this curry are totally different and doesn't smell like ripe fruit. Well chopping them is really a tough task for newbies and troublesome to peel because of its rough and spiky skin and sticky. I never took the pain to peel and always relied on my grandma or my mother to do this job for me who had mastered this skill. But time flies after my wedding I had to move abroad with my hubby leaving mom behind. So for the first time I peeled the skin with all t mess I finally made it. Need not worry the chopped and packed ones are readily available in the stores to ease the job. The tender ones are picked for making of this curry. Nothing new in this curry I’m just presenting what my mom and granny followed from ages I don’t have the same skill though.

The curry is nutritious and soft fiber is a comforting food for tummy. That soft fleshy texture is made for vegetarians. And my non-vegetarian friends trust me you feel exactly the same like you are chewing a piece of meat with mild spices. When I was a small kid I believed it’s a meat while being fed by my aunt way back in 1993. Coming back to recipe, I used chickpeas along with mild spices to make it yummier. Firstly it is pressure cooked and vegetable is strained out from broth. You must be thinking what to do with the seasoned stock/broth here is the recipe link to turn it into a stew or a soothing soup and pour a ladleful of stew to the prepared curry to make more flavorful.




Ingredients:

    For broth
  • 1 small raw jackfruit peeled and chopped to cube size (250 gram)
  • 100 grams chickpeas, soaked overnight
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • ½ tsp black pepper powder
  • 2 tsp coriander powder
  • 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
  • Salt to taste
  • 3 cups water

For tempering
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • Mustards
  • 1 twig curry leaves (optional)
  • 1 medium size onion finely chopped
  • ¼ cup shredded coconut (About 4tbsp)
  • ½ tsp red chili powder (optional)
  • ½ tsp garam masala


Directions:

Step 1:  Slow cooker is what is preferred for this but I usually grab my pressure cooker. Pressure cook all ingredients listed under broth in medium low heat for 1 whistle. Simmer it for 2 minutes after first whistle and turn off.

Step 2: Strain and separate seasoned stock from cooked vegetables and chickpeas. Keep aside


Step 3: Heat oil in a wok, add mustards and allow it to pop up. Add chopped onions and sauté till translucent. Add curry leaves, cooked vegetable with chick peas and saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cooked vegetables are well coated with tempering in a medium heat.

Step 4: Add coconut, sprinkle chili powder garam masala and make salt adjustment. Add few tablespoons of seasoned stock if it dries up.




Note:  
  • Serve as side dish with rice.
  • As I always say adjust spices based on your preference.


No comments:

Post a Comment